Have you seen the commercials for the Vicks Vapor shower disk thingies? You put one of these disks in your shower, and voila thanks to the vapors in it, you’re magically healed, your cold is gone, and your face is shockingly free of snot.
1) Add baking soda to a mixing bowl. Updated to add – I don’t really measure. Maybe 2-3 cups?
2) Slowly add water until you’ve made a thick paste. Updated to add: add just a little water a time. You’ll want the mix to feel like putty.
3) Add 15 drops of each essential oil.
4) Spoon in to a muffin tin, and let sit out for 12-18 hours. You can also bake these, but I just left them out overnight.
5) Pop these suckers out of the paper liner, plop it in your shower, and let the essential oils steam away your stuffy nose. Edited to add: put them anywhere on the floor of the shower; it doesn’t matter where!
Added 4/7/12 – for anyone who is having issues with these being “crumbly”, try using 1 cup of baking soda and 1/3 cup of water (plus maybe a few tbslp more) and baking for 20 minutes at 350. THEN add a few drops of essential oils to the cooled “puck”. That was a suggestion from a commenter and I tried it this morning with great success! I’m a quick shower taker (less than 5 min), and my “disk” was only about 1/3 gone at the end of the shower.
Additionally, I’m not a doctor (nor a butcher, baker, or candlestick maker), so if you have any medical conditions, contact a medical professional.
- Essential Oils in Your Beauty Products: What Do They Do? (bellasugar.com)
- Surprising Uses for Baking Soda (frugalfashionistachic.wordpress.com)
- my favorite homemade deodorant recipe (beautythatmoves.typepad.com)
- Homemade Baking Soda Shaker (eightypercenthomemade.wordpress.com)
- Natural Shampoo Recipe (ecocitizenaustralia.com.au)
- Homemade Lemon Oatmeal Body Butter Bars (lemotfinale.wordpress.com)
- Coconut Oil for Skin Care – Part 2 (skincarebydonna.wordpress.com)
- Great Big Plastic-Free, Non-Toxic Deodorant Review (myplasticfreelife.com)